Developing the energy markets of the future will be a key factor to overcome these new challenges and to integrate the increasing complexity of the electricity systems. It provides an elegant and more optimum alternative to grid and assets investments. However, including this complexity into the markets is not straightforward: keep the market efficient, scalable and transparent while having a growing number of actors; representing more accurately the grid constraints; considering local needs while keeping the market liquid, etc.
N-SIDE, as a key actor in the Energy market and expert in advanced analytics, offers its market clearing tool to contribute to a better integration of electricity markets (Day-ahead, Intraday, Balancing, Reserve) at different dimensions:
- National market clearing – The algorithm clears efficiently a multi-zonal national market, including various types of orders and maximizing the social welfare achieved by each market session.
- Cross-border coupling – By the coupling of national markets at the European level. EUPHEMIA, developed by N-SIDE, is the official coupling algorithm for the European day-ahead markets, determining the spot prices and volumes for 25 countries.
- TSO-DSO Coordination – By the optimization of energy and ancillary service markets at the global and local levels. N-SIDE algorithms leverage the flexibilities of DERs (Distributed Energy Resources) and allows an optimal coordination between TSOs and DSOs.
N-SIDE is using different types of advanced analytics:
Develop cutting-edge optimization algorithms to solve large-scale (multi-countries), non-linear (complex network representation, complex market rules), non-Convex (complex market products) problems in a limited amount of time.
Forecast ancillary services needs for different timeframes and the associated bidding strategy.
Represent in an accurate and tractable way the different grid constraints at the cross-border, transmission and distribution levels.
Define different bidding approach: explicit or implicit bidding (price based control)
Market product model
M€ average daily value of matched trades
EU countries computing Day-Ahead electricity prices with Euphemia
minutes to solve European-wide market coupling problems
of successful runs of our day-ahead market-clearing algorithm
Latest blog articles / news
- FlexPlan project: considering flexibility to support long-term grid planning
- How to avoid the black-box effect of artificial intelligence ?
- Market-clearing algorithms to operate Local energy market
- Meet us at E-World and discover our artificial intelligence solutions
- Cornwall Local Energy Market achieves major flexibility breakthrough
- INFORMS 2019: Advanced analytics for Local Energy Markets
- Join us at the European Utility Week in Paris, 12-14/11
- New grid planning methodology, considering alternatives to new lines: Flex Plan
- How can sector coupling enable flexibility provision ?
- How to leverage the full value of flexibility in energy markets ?